VLC problem running on DragonFly 2.0.0

Archimedes Gaviola archimedes.gaviola at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 02:22:15 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 9:58 PM, Archimedes Gaviola
<archimedes.gaviola at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:13 PM, Max Herrgaard <herrgaard at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>
>> Hi, Archimedes.
>>
>>> I have successfully installed VLC in DragonFly 2.0.0 using pkgsrc
>>> (2008Q2) but somehow when try to run it, its process died and get core
>>> dumped.
>>>
>>> pid 22714 (vlc), uid 1002: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
>>
>> Have you tried to ktrace it?
>>

>> -Max
>>

> Hi Max,
>
> This problem has something to do with the sound card since it wasn't
> detected by DragonFly on default installation. By default, VLC is run
> with audio enabled. With --no-audio parameter, it just works fine.
> Anyway, I'll try to dig up on the appropriate sound card driver of my
> laptop.
>
> Thanks,
> Archimedes

Hi Max,

This time I have successfully installed the sound card driver of my
laptop which is an Intel high definition audio by recompiling the
kernel again through adding device pcm and device snd_hda modules then
it works fine while VLC is executed in the console. This time with
Xfce4 desktop environment, running VLC on the GUI will also occur the
core dump issue and the VLC process just died right after the moment
it is executed. What should be the parameters of the ktrace to track
VLC process executed on top of Xfce4?

I also attached the dmesg output of the detected Intel sound card driver.

Thanks,
Archimedes
drgfly-2.0.0-intel-82801H-hda