hammer prune explanation

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat May 10 17:21:02 PDT 2008

:That will probably work quite well for servers which are running 24x7,
:but how about using HAMMER on desktops/laptops (which might not be
:running except when in use, though the disk might not be used all the
:time). Could some kind of low priority process be used instead? Perhaps
:one that only runs for less than a minute but instead runs every 10
:minutes or so, the idea being to spread out the pruning so that it wont
:affect (severely) normal usage but still keep the FS in good shape.
:
:--
:Erik Wikström

    Yes, it would be fairly easy to automate it.  Maybe make a 'hammer -S'
    and add directives to /etc/hammer.conf to tell it what to test for
    and how often to run some pruning/reblocking ops.  The ioctls could
    be augmented to add a block I/O limit before it returns, to better
    control the load.

    I'm not going to do it right now but it someone wants a little side
    project this would be a great one.  If it isn't done in the next few
    weeks I'll sit down and do it myself.

					<dillon at backplane.com>