[GSoC] the AMD64 port

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Tue Mar 18 14:04:42 PDT 2008

Jordan Gordeev wrote:
 1. Does porting require messing with the source code of gcc/binutils/gdb?
maybe.  the basic infrastructure is in place however and also seems to be
able to produce amd64 binaries of some sort.

 2. Do I need to have an AMD64 machine with more than 4 GB RAM to be
able to fully test my work?
I don't think so.

 3. Would I be required to get 32-bit binaries working on 64-bit kernels
or would being able to run 64-bit binaries suffice?
32bit binaries would be optional, but of course the design shouldn't
obstruct them.

 4. Is SMP part of the equation?
I'd say yes, but I don't think there is so much work to do.

 5. In general, is there a fixed list of things that should be done, or
am I free to choose based on my interests/abilitity?
"Make it work" definitely is on the list of things to be done.  Apart from
that you might be able to choose.  I think the list of deliverables would
have to be pinned down by you and your mentor.

cheers
  simon