FreeBSD 7, DragonFly's status

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Mar 9 15:37:06 PDT 2008

Bill Hacker wrote:

Kris,

w/r the http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/mysql.html page

The link to the MySQL config:

http://www.freebsd.org/%7Ekris/scaling/my.cnf

...gives me a 404.
Thanks, fixed.

I don't have even a Quad-core I can spare from duty at the moment, but
I'd like to at least see what the relative UMP & dual-core results are
on one of the OpenSolaris releases we have handy.

Solaris-on-x86 subjectively seems relatively faster now than 'SlowLaris'
days, but still no great shakes speed-wise.
I don't know how well UP will perform, but Solaris have put enormous
amounts of work into their SMP implementation.  One thing we found in
FreeBSD is that SMP optimization work often also ends up improving UP
performance at the same time, so the results may be surprising.

I hope to rerun my benchmarks on an 8-core system soon (the trick has
been getting Solaris netbooted).

Kris