Help getting Canon LiDE 30 USB scanner to work

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Wed Jun 11 14:37:56 PDT 2008

Vincent Stemen wrote:
On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 09:49:57AM -0700, walt wrote:
I finally got my canoscan 670 working, but on -current not -release.
The kernel uscanner support is compiled in so the scanner appears as
/dev/uscanner0.
If you have the chance to try -current it might give a clue where your
problem lies.  IIRC there have been some changes to usb support lately.
Hi Walt.

I see that our scanners vender and product ID is hard coded in the
uscanner.c in the 1.12 release.
     {{ USB_DEVICE(0x04a9, 0x220e) }, 0 }, /* CanoScan N1240U */

I will compile a new kernel and try it.  The 1.10 release shows a small
set of supported scanners.  Did you compile sane-backends *without libusb*
in order for yours to work?
I didn't change or configure anything when building sane-backends or libusb,
so the defaults worked okay for me, and sane-find-scanner is linked against
libusb.
Because the sane-usb manual says to remove any kernel usb scanner driver
in order to use it.
I had to do that in NetBSD but not DragonFly.