console

Zbigniew Baniewski zb at ispid.com.pl
Sun Jul 27 11:14:42 PDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 10:54:00AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Hallo - a question from a person pretty new to DragonFlyBSD:
> :
> :As I can see, DragonFlyBSD uses just cons25 terminal, taken from FreeBSD
> :most probably. I would to ask: is there support for smacs/rmacs strings
> :planned? It's needed for full internationalization of text-console, without
> :a loss of semigraphics.
>
>     Not that I know of.

What a pity - it would be nice to keep both "national" characters and
semigraphics in text mode.

> :Uh, I forgot - another one: I read, that DragonFlyBSD has two releases
> :yearly. Wouldn't be reasonable to switch to "rolling release" model then? It
> :could mean less work for both the users ant the devs... what do you think?
>
>     I don't know what you mean by a 'rolling release' model.

I mean the thing described at, for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release
http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2008/01/linux-releases-fixed-vs-rolling-release.html

>     People can
>     always stay up to date by tracking the release branch or the development
>     branch, which are updated continuously.

So, does it work in the case of DF exactly the way:

#v+
  "[..] there are no fixed releases like 0.7 or 1.0, but the whole system is
  on the roll, constantly updating bit by bit (not the 'bit' as in bits and
  bytes, but a 'bit' as in a bit of this and a bit of that). The flow of
  updated packages is constant [..]"
#v-
( http://eyedeal.team88.org/node/58 )

--