sockets and HAMMER

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Jul 5 14:58:40 PDT 2008

:Well, internal hard disks under 100G are getting hard to find, so I doubt
:this is going to be a huge issue.  It should be documented.
:
:There's also the possibility that things could be mounted under /, instead
:of multiple partitions.

    Yah.  I think what we are moving towards is more of a one or
    two-filesystem model (I think having a separate root is still important),
    but to make it totally practical we need to be able to set overall
    space limits on a per-PFS basis.  (PFS == HAMMER's pseudo filesystems).

    This won't happen in the first release but it certainly isn't hard
    to accomplish.  The advantage of it is that limits applied to PFSs
    are soft and could be adjusted up or down at any time.  And since
    we support 65536 PFSs per HAMMER filesystem the whole mechanism could
    be used to soft-partition a huge filesystem for use by different
    machines / departments / users / whatever.

    No, no quotas for HAMMER yet :-)  I just don't think that stuff belongs
    in the filesystem.  We need a generic quota and MAC layer in the kernel
    proper.  The MAC layer implemented in FreeBSD is horrible, I think
    we could do a lot better particularly with PFS to rough-cut the
    security domains.

					<dillon at backplane.com>