Hammer pruning and pfs

Michael Neumann mneumann at ntecs.de
Mon Jul 28 04:58:09 PDT 2008

Hi,

it's unclear to me whether pruning works locally to a PFS or not.

Say I have a snapshots directory with links to PFS#1, e.g.

  /pfs1/snapshots
  snap1 -> /pfs1/@0x....
  snap2 -> /pfs1/@0x....
and I do a

  hammer prune /pfs1/snapshots

will it just prune the PFS#1 accoring to the softlinks, or
will it prune the whole Hammer filesystem using the softlinks.
My understanding is that each PFS can be pruned separatly (otherwise
mirroring using per-mirror retention policies will not work).
But then, if one has multiple PFS, one has to maintain multiple
snapshots for each PFS, even if the transaction id of the snapshot
is global to the whole Hammer filesystem.

Regards,

  Michael