rsync vs. cvsup benchmarks

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Wed Jan 30 06:31:59 PST 2008

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
The only minor thing I'd bring up is that I recall one reason for cvsup is
that rsync placed a relatively higher load per client on the server.
That needs to be established.  We already heard that cvsup - contrary to
claims - is not competitive with rsync, on the client side.  So I can very
well believe that this is also true for the server side.  I for myself
always notice that when syncing from chlamydia, the server basically
traverses all 60k files *instantly*, while it takes quite some time on my
desktop.  So the load doesn't seem to be a problem once the directory
structure is in the buffer cache.

Of course, that may complaint may date from when people only had 400Mhz
CPUs and older versions of rsync, so I doubt it's a strong reason to stay
with cvsup any more.
Quick test on chlamydia:  rsync of already synced repo:

% time rsync --delete -aH chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de::dragonfly-cvs .
rsync --delete -aH chlamydia.fs.ei.tum.de::dragonfly-cvs .  0.72s user
1.43s system 36% cpu 5.865 total

considering that rsync spends half of the time on the local side, that's <
3s of load on the server:

53331 nobody   161   0  4536K  3888K select   0:00 355.68% 33.89% rsync

nobody cares about that.  it might take some more cycles when transfering,
but so what.  seriously.  I don't care, this is peanuts.

cheers
  simon