How to rebuild LiveCD

Haidut haidut at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 10:38:42 PST 2008

I think his question is essentially something I'd asked long time ago
- how to create a LiveCD from a pre-installed environment. Sort of
like the FreeSBIE (FreeBSD), Linux, or NetBSD live CDs floating out
there. Basically, you have a running environment with configured
applications such as Firefox and OO, and you want to convert it to an
ISO, which when booted gives you all the apps you had installed on
your HDD.
The DFLY "release" process I think is geared towards creating an
"installation" live CD. It will boot but won't be a ready-to run GUI
environment just like your HDD deployment but rather a live CD from
which you can install the applications you chose to include when
creating this custom "release" CD.
As far as I remember Matt said that you can create a FreeSBIE-style
live CD yourself but you have to do it manually and also Dfly doesn't
support a compressed filesystem over the ISO so that your CD will be
limited to 700MB of software, not 2-3GB like FreeSBIE.
NetBSD have a script in pkgsrc called "livecd" but I think it's
deprecated at this point.
If the live CD situation for Dfly has changed then please let me know.
I'd very interested in experimenting with Dfly and maybe create a
desktop oriented live CD like FreeSBIE. It's a great marketing tool
for Dfly.