Building/Installing DragonFly from within FreeBSD

Andre LeClaire aleclaire at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 06:17:32 PST 2008

though it seems to be supported to build (some releases) of DragonFly on
(some releases) of FreeBSD and cross-install them, I can't get it to
work.
I tried building 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.10 on 4.11, 5.5, 6.0 and 8.0.
They all quickly die in buildworld during bootstrap-tools phase. Even
plastering over some obvious differences, this seems to be not possible
with the given releases.
There's an existing guide:
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/upgrade-freebsd.shtml

Can anybody confirm that this still works? When I try to upgrade a
FreeBSD 4.9 system to DragonFly 1.2 following the procedure outlined in
this document, make buildworld fails in /usr/src/usr.bin/mklocale.
I would like to go this route to migrate some production servers that
are currently running FBSD 4.11 to DragonFly, if possible.

Thanks!

Andre