Building/Installing DragonFly from within FreeBSD

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 12:14:51 PST 2008

Hi there,

though it seems to be supported to build (some releases) of DragonFly on
(some releases) of FreeBSD and cross-install them, I can't get it to
work.

I tried building 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.10 on 4.11, 5.5, 6.0 and 8.0.
They all quickly die in buildworld during bootstrap-tools phase. Even
plastering over some obvious differences, this seems to be not possible
with the given releases.

Some background: I'm trying to debug SCSI/CAM/cd(4) on FreeBSD, where my
external DVD drive will not read retail DVDs (yes, burned DVDs are fine,
please don't ask). And since this worked with DFly 1.8 last time I
tried, I'm now in the progress of doing a binary search between, well
FreeBSD 4.x and DFly 1.8 to nail down the commit that made this possible
in DFly. (right now, I'm blaming GEOM for this no longer working in
FreeBSD).

I'm trying to install this on a headless machine, using serial consoles
only. So popping in an install CD and using monitor/keyboard to install
is not that easy.

Anyway, so I downloaded the 1.0A ISO and extracted it to ad2s1a, placed
an /etc/rc.conf and /etc/fstab there, removed /boot/loader.conf and
wanted to boot this. It loads /boot/loader, but when loading (decoding?)
the kernel, it hangs solid. I tried without ACPI and safe mode, doesn't
help.

What am I missing? Is boot, loader, or kernel from the 1.0A ISO not able
to boot a kernel from the hard disk. Or is the serial console fucking
things up?

This is how far I get (using grub)

root (hd1,1,a)
 Filesystem type is ffs, partition type 0xa5
kernel /boot/loader -Dh
   [FreeBSD-a.out, loadaddr=0x200000, text=0x1000, data=0x2d000, bss=0x0, entry
=0x200000]

Console: serial port
Console: null port
BIOS drive A: is disk0
BIOS drive C: is disk1
BIOS drive D: is disk2
BIOS 640kB/326644kB available memory

DragonFly/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(root@, Wed Jul 1 17:17:37 GMT 2004)
/kernel text=0x386a50 data=0x5c8b4+0x3626c syms=[0x4+0x4bf40+0x4+0x5b104]

<menu>

/modules/acpi.ko text=0x477c0 data=0x2034+0xc98 syms=[0x4+0x6e60+0x4+0x8bfc]
-

And then it's dead

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak, and remove all doubt.