vkernel(7) usage and granularity of privileges

Andreas Bartelt dragonflybsd at bartula.de
Mon Dec 29 08:39:29 PST 2008

Hello Matt,

Matthew Dillon wrote:
. ..
    You can then treat the TAP interface as a local IP space (or even bridge
    it if you want).  If you treat it as a local IP space you can then use
    something like PF to NAT it to the outside world and control the
    bandwidth usage.
thanks a lot for the hint. After playing with both variants, I think
I'll stick with the 'local IP space' setup which is connected via NAT to
the outside world.

However, I've noticed a minor problem in combination with PF: since the
tap interface gets created AFTER vknetd is run, enabling PF in
/etc/rc.conf doesn't work in case filtering is also done on the tap
interface (unknown interfaces give a parsing errror...). I suppose think
it would be a good idea to add an option for vknetd to rc/rc.conf, in
order to ensure that the tap interface is already created when PF starts
(this further requires the kernel module for the tap interface to be
enabled in /boot/loader.conf -- perhaps a comment in the rc.conf man
page would help...). Basically the same problem applies to the bridging
setup. What do you think?

regards,
Andreas