Console screen corruption?

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Mon Dec 15 10:23:54 PST 2008

Sascha Wildner wrote:
walt schrieb:
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Sascha Wildner wrote:

walt schrieb:
I've installed dfly using the kvm/qemu emulator and I'm seeing
strange corruption of the console screen at times.

Hm, you can change to 80x50 with 'vidcontrol -f 8x8 iso-8x8.fnt 80x50'.
After trying 80x50, switch back to 80x25 with 'vidcontrol 80x25' and
check if the problem persists.
No difference.

I've taken this much time to respond because I keep confusing myself
with experiments that don't seem consistent.  E.g. for awhile I thought
that I saw the corruption only with csh and not with bash or ksh --
but now I'm not so sure.
In any case the only time I'm seeing the every-other-character turn
blank now is when I'm scrolling back through my command history.
Other than that, the problem is minimal after updating to CURRENT.
But I've not tried any curses-based apps since the rebuild, and
the screen corruption was especially bad while installing dfly
using the installer.  I had to hit screen-refresh with each new
curses screen because everything was completely illegible.
Also, can you recompile with

options VGA_DEBUG=2
options FB_DEBUG=2
in your kernel config and post or mail me a verbose boot message?
I put the dmesg in my leaf account: leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~wa1ter

The corruption is better than it was but still not perfect, so
I hope you see something that can be fixed.
Thanks!