Rework carp ipv4 support

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 18:12:38 PST 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 2:06 AM, Petr Janda
<elekktretterr at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>> Configure inet address to carp(4) interface is no longer supported;
>
> Hi Sephe,
> May I ask what is the reason for this change?

Why do you need it?  The route added by the inet address will never be
used, while the inet address will never be the source address of the
outgoing packets (you always need a backing inet address in other
"real" iface).
The original inet address are just used to do following mapping:
target inet address (in arp) -> ether address (generated from vhid)

Mixing the carp inet address into the global inet address list and
hash table introduce great mess (take a look at how they generated
sha1 hash on the inet addresses, and various workaround added to
in_control) and actually do you no good.

Best Regards,
sephe

--
Live Free or Die