BSDstats Statistics for Aug, 2007 ...

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Sun Sep 2 20:39:09 PDT 2007

Although I should send this out more often then I do, last month was a
particularly good month, with *everyone* except for NetBSD going up in numbers
. ..

First off all, for those that aren't aware:

"The mission of this site is to compile semi-accurate numbers for advocacy and
marketing of the *BSD operating systems."

Through interaction with several system administrators out there, from a
security / anonymity perspective, we have tried to design things such that we
save nothing in the database that could be used to compromise  your servers ...
no hostname, no IP ...

The stats  have also been designed to allow for multiple reporting by the same
host each month (ie. rebooting your desktop), so it doesn't have to be run just
on the first of the month.

The web site, although it looks good, is incomplete at this time ... Anthony,
our 'webmaster' has been a wee bit pre-occupied the past little while, but
hopes to be able to dive back in again by the end of the month, and clean up
some of the reports.

To date, we have the following *BSD "distributions" reporting in:

            DesktopBSD
            DragonFly
            FreeBSD
            GNU/kFreeBSD
            MidnightBSD
            MirBSD
            NetBSD
            OpenBSD
            PC-BSD

PC-BSD, to the best of our knowledge, is the only one that defaults to enabled,
while the rest have to be enabled manually.

For FreeBSD users, you just need to install /usr/ports/sysutils/bsdstats to set
things up.

And that's the "sales pitch" ... over the past few months, we've broken the
11,000k host mark ...

Since we don't have any 'trend reports' on the site yet, please feel free to
visit <http://bsdstats.org/os_report.php?lastmonth> to see changes from July ->
August ...

But, overall for August:

 DesktopBSD        +152.7%
 DragonFly         +  5.3%
 FreeBSD           +  2.7%
 GNU/kFreeBSD      +150.0%
 MidnightBSD       +100.0%
 MirBSD            +190.0%
 NetBSD            -  5.5%
 OpenBSD           + 13.5%
 PC-BSD            +  0.2%
                   =======
                   +  5.1%

If you aren't participating, we very much encourage you to start ... the report
script is a shell script, so you can scan it to figure out what, exactly, is
being sent in .. and there is only one level of reporting that is  required,
and that is Operating System + Version ... Device and Ports reporting are 100%
optional ...

For those that are participating ... once more, thank you ... and spread the
word, we need more reporters :)

- ----