Development

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun May 13 10:58:29 PDT 2007

:
:On Sun, May 13, 2007 8:00 am, km b wrote:
:> On 5/13/07, Simon corecode Schubert <corecode at fs.ei.tum.de> wrote:
:>> follow-fork-mode for gdb, or maybe even start/finish the amd64 port.
:>
:> just wondering whether anybody  has done any work on amd64 port earlier?
:
:Matt had done some work before when he first acquired some AMD64 systems -
:I am not sure of the location in the source tree since /src was
:rearranged, though.

    I'd call the AMD64 support in fairly poor shape right now.  I think
    the boot-loader does understand 64 bit kernel binaries but the kernel
    needs a lot of work to actually boot in that mode.

    I have been working around the edges... for example, my vkernel work
    also entailed continuing the cpu/platform separation work.  So it
    should be easier now then ever before for an interested party to begin
    a port.  A great deal of pmap-layer separation work has also been done
    as part of that work.

    I have to start thinking about the July release.  At the rate I'm going
    I am not going to have either the storage layer or the filesystem ready
    for the upcoming release.  It just isn't fun to work on one thing for
    6 months :-(

    AMD64 might actually count as low-hanging fruit with regards to
    getting something major done for the release.  All my boxes are 64 bit
    boxes running in 32 bit mode now so it isn't as though I don't have
    the hardware.  I really have to think about it.

					<dillon at backplane.com>