no gcc 4.1after rebuild

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri May 11 12:04:42 PDT 2007

:as advised on this mailing list. i added this line in "/etc/mk.conf":
:
:WANT_GCC41=yes
:
:i also noted that "/usr/lib" has 2 directories: gcc34 and gcc41 and on
:my newly installed 1.8.1 release, "gcc --version" gave "gcc 3.4". so i
:fetched the sources using cvsup using my 1.8-release supfile. then i
:did this:
:
:# cd /usr/src
:# make buildworld
:# make buildkernel
:# make installkernel
:# make installworld
:# make upgrade
:# reboot
:
:this took 6 hours in total. and after reboot, i see "gcc --version"
:gave "gcc 3.4"  :-(
:
:what the heck ?   why i am not getting "gcc 4.1" based system ?
:(BTW, one thing that surprised me is during this whole system rebuild,
:i did NOT get any error. seems strange to a Linux based user like me)
:--
:http://arnuld.blogspot.com/

    WANT_GCC41 means that the buildworld will build gcc 4.1 in addition
    to 3.x.  Both compilers will be present in the system.  You can
    use 4.1 simply by setting an environment variable:

% setenv CCVER gcc41
% cc --version
cc (GCC) 4.1.2 (DragonFly)

% unsetenv CCVER
% cc --version
cc (GCC) 3.4.6 [DragonFly] (propolice, visibility)

    The core system binaries are still built with 3.x.  It shouldn't hurt
    anything.  That is, you do not need to build the core system
    with gcc 4.x in order to use gcc 4.x.

					<dillon at backplane.com>