To be a new DFly commiter

Justin C. Sherrill justin at shiningsilence.com
Sat Mar 17 12:31:24 PDT 2007

On Sat, March 17, 2007 12:00 pm, Michel Talon wrote:

> The reality is that on FreeBSD i find everything i want in the ports, even
> more easily that in Ubuntu, while on several other BSD and Linux systems
> i don't, by a very large margin. This is not pissing contest, for me the

The result at this point is that pkgsrc is the largest possible amount of
packaged third-party software for DragonFly.  FreeBSD ports, even though
it's a larger collection, had/has a smaller percentage of packages that
worked on DragonFly, and that number is seriously dwindling now that
FreeBSD 4 is reaching end-of-life status.

Don't forget to give Joerg credit, as he has made a huge amount of pkgsrc
available for DragonFly very quickly.  The combination of that and
pkgsrc's general cross-platform reach has given DragonFly package support
that you usually only see among systems with large-scale corporate
support, with budgets to match: Debian, RedHat, FreeBSD, etc.

> What FreeBSD and NetBSD lack is a good system for
> management of binary packages. Marc has very well understood that,
> and has  made every effort so that updates work smoothly. To my
> knowledge OpenBSD is the only BSD which has a working update
> mechanism, fully integrated.

I completely agree with you - I prefer binary packages.  If nothing else,
pkgmanager is getting close to taking away much of the pain of manual
compilation and upgrading: http://www.scode.org/pkgmanager/ .