2 NICs and 1 network

Petr Janda elekktretterr at exemail.com.au
Thu Mar 15 19:24:49 PDT 2007

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Thu, March 15, 2007 9:14 pm, Petr Janda wrote:

Im using PowerDN (authoritative)S and PowerDNS-Recursor (nscache). They
need to run sepately. Have you used the ldap module for bind? Besides
last release being 2 years ago, i heard that its utterly useless too.
(you gotta keep the zone files on disk too), and ldapdns was quite buggy
last time i used it in production.

Well, I have to admit, after reviewing the products, I went with a custom
solution where I built an application to track the records through a web
interface and created ordinary plain text records for BIND from there.  My
primary worry was that these products constrain you to the maximum speed
and reliability of your LDAP server - of course, that takes a lot, but
there's something to be said for the appeal of simple text files that can
be easily backed up or replaced.

i've used zones in LDAP in production for some time and its been quite
problemless. the only problem was ldapdns was  buggy at the time. Then i
switch workplaces so i dont know, but as far as i know it still works
with ldapdns. Where i work now we use powerdns/LDAP. We use OpenLDAP and
reliability has been excellent.   I'm going to set up another ldap
server which will be a slave to the first one. The 2ndery dns will read
zones from the slave, as at the moment both primary and secondary dns
read from the single LDAP server, although as i said, reliability has
been excellent. (according to cacti 99.89% availability)

Petr