wiki log of #dragonfly irc channel

Dmitri Nikulin dnikulin at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 14:22:55 PST 2007

On 3/3/07, Adrian Michael Nida <nida at musc.edu> wrote:
This is only my second python program, so it could probably use some work.
Some features I'd like to add are:
* Reconnect after disconnect
* Ability to fork into "server" mode so I can write startup/shutdown scripts
If any phython hackers on this list want to tutor me in the form of
examples, I'll be grateful.
I recommend using Twisted Python as a framework, which gives you an
IRC protocol client out of the box, good efficiency, and very neat
daemon behavior (using twistd, for instance).
For anyone who hasn't found it, this is the code:
http://www.labthug.com/~adrian/LabBot/LabBot.py
It's not beautiful but it's also not much work to clean up. I
recommend the next iteration get Twisted Python treatment. It's an
extra dependency, true, but it also gives you a lot more for free and
lends itself to much better reuse.
---
Dmitri Nikulin
Centre for Synchrotron Science