mounting UFS from Linux

Dmitri Nikulin dnikulin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 19:52:45 PDT 2007

On 3/24/07, Guillermo García Rojas <garciarojas at solobsd.org> wrote:
What can I do to read those files?
I agree with Simon. Either normalize the uids+gids for users, or run
as root. BSDs have a umapfs which allows remapping uids+gids in the
kernel level for any base file tree, but I think Linux devs pretend
this doesn't matter. Still, if you can't normalize the IDs then you
can use umapfs on the BSD side. In DragonFly, umapfs was disabled
while nullfs was broken, but I don't think it's been re-enabled yet.
mount_umapfs isn't in DragonFly's online man system at all, even
though that's what it was in FreeBSD:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=mount_umapfs&sektion=8&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.2-RELEASE

---
Dmitri Nikulin