pkgsrc question

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Mar 21 21:55:57 PDT 2007

:Based on what i've been reading i should be able to create a binary
:package of something after its installed, however if i do 'bmake
:package' after i already did 'bmake install' it fails with errors, and
:the only way to fix this is to 'pkg_delete <package>' and then do
:'bmake package'(which not only creates the binary package but installs
:as well and will fail to create the binary package if it cannot
:install).  Is this normal, the documentation I look at for netbsd
:seems to suggest that i can cd into a package dir, then do this:
:
:bmake
:bmake install
:bmake package
:
:however on dfly that same sequence results in breakage, heres some
:example output:

    I don't think I've ever been able to build a binary package for
    a pkgsrc package if the package was already installed.  It's just
    one of those things I chalked up to pkgsrc weirdness.

    pkgsrc is quirky that way... it always seems to want to mess
    with your installed base, even when you are doing things that
    don't involve the installed base.  I think the only safe way to
    play with it is to create a little chrooted environment so it
    can't access the packages you have formally installed on the system.