Warning, objcache(cluster mbuf): Exhausted!

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Jul 29 12:37:48 PDT 2007

:Hi, it's me again. I get the following error. What does this mean?
:Brother Google did not help...
:
:--
:Gergo Szakal MD <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com>

    It means the system is trying to use more network buffers then the
    kernel is willing to provide.  This can happen:

    * If your machine does not have a lot of memory but is handling a
      large number of simultanious TCP connections.

    * If your machine is handling hundreds to thousands of simultanious
      TCP connections the number of mbuf clusters may have to be tuned
      up with boot-time kernel environment variables (kern.ipc.nmbclusters
      setting in /boot/loader.conf).

    * If you have adjusted certain sysctl parameters, such as TCP buffer
      sizes, too large.

    One can usually figure out what is going on by running netstat -m,
    netstat -tn, ps, etc, to figure out what is eating all the mbufs.

					<dillon at backplane.com>