xmms plugin question

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Fri Feb 23 12:26:37 PST 2007

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007, Huub wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Running DFBSD 1.9, I just built xmms. Though it does work, I missed the CD
> Audio player plugin. After some searching I found I missed libcdaudio, so I
> built that too and put it in /usr/pkg/lib/xmms/Input. However, xmms still
> doesn't show CD Audio player in the Input plugin windows. I search the net for
> a solution, but found none telling me how to actually add a plugin (the xmms
> homepage doesn't mention it either). Can someone please give a hint?

I just finished compiling xmms and noticed this message at the end:

$NetBSD: MESSAGE,v 1.2 2003/02/06 15:33:30 wiz Exp $

If you wish to use the Audio CD playback capability of XMMS, you need
to configure XMMS in the following manner:

1. Select "Options" -> "Preferences" (or press Control-P)
2. Select "Audio I/O Plugins" tab
3. Configure "CD Audio Player ... [libcdaudio.so]"
4. Change "Device:" to the raw partition of your CD player (e.g., `/dev/cd0d').
5. Change "Directory:" to an existing (empty) directory to be used within the
   XMMS file selection dialog boxes as the path to select tracks on audio CDs
   (e.g., `/cdrom/').
6. Select "OK" to save the changes.

I find it's not that simple.  When I start xmms I see this error:
/usr/pkg/lib/xmms/Input/libcdaudio.so: Undefined symbol "read_audio_data"
and so the CD player never shows in the Configure dialog.

I don't know why the symbol is missing.  I wonder if this another ld-elf
problem?