Fetch pkgsrc index with pkg_search

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Dec 12 15:16:31 PST 2007

:Yeah, this was intended.  I provide a version for {Free,Net}BSD on my
:website.  I thought the DragonFly version doesn't need any information
:about other OSs.
:
:>     There might also be issues with the Makefile we put in /usr which
:>     has the ability to fetch the pkgsrc tree.
:
:There could be two possibilities.  I could use the Makefile to fetch a
:complete pkgsrc tree instead of the summary file or I could save the
:summary file in another location.  If the user installs a pkgsrc tree
:later, pkg_search prefers the tree instead of the summary file.
:Comments?
:
:Regards,
:
:	Matthias

    I think we are ok downloading just the index file for now.
    The reason is that one can then use the index to get package
    names that can then be installed from a remote binary archive,
    so there is no need to download the whole pkgsrc tree.

    In terms of having an out of date summary file... yah, that needs
    to be worked on a bit.  I'm not sure what the best solution is atm.