Trying to setup PF and spamd...hell!

Jeremy C. Reed reed at reedmedia.net
Thu Aug 9 08:59:29 PDT 2007

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, elekktretterr at exemail.com.au wrote:

> I also cant find any logs from spamd. there is no /var/log/spamd and
> /var/log/messages only says that spamd is listening.

Run spamd with -v switch for verbose.

By default it logs to both LOG_DAEMON with LOG_INFO and LOG_DEBUG. My
/etc/syslog.conf has:

*.info			        /var/log/messages
(plus other stuff for messages)
daemon.debug			/var/log/daemon.debug

Touch /var/log/daemon.debug and configure your syslog.conf and restart
syslogd. Restart spamd with -v.

Where did you get spamd? The spamd in pkgsrc/mail has bugs.
I use spamd-devel in pkgsrc/wip/ but it is incomplete.

Also run "spamdb" to see your WHITE and GREY entries.

>>  42015 spamd-setup NAMI  "/sbin/__nonexistent__"

The spamd-setup could run: PATH_FTP, PATH_PFCTL or the the argument for
the "exec" method in configuration. (See spamd.conf.) I'd suggest you do
not use spamd-setup until you get spamd itself working for you first.

  Jeremy C. Reed

p.s. If you want me to email you the copy of the spamd chapter from The
OpenBSD PF Packet Filter Book: PF for NetBSD, FreeBSD, DragonFly and
OpenBSD
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Booksources&isbn=0979034205
let me know.

p.p.s. I have been using spamd for over a year. For six months, I have
been running it on multiple servers that synchronize the data. I run a
commercial outsourced greylisting service.