benchmarks

Haidut haidut at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 16:21:26 PDT 2007

I can certainly repeat the benchmarks with those releases as well. The
reason I chose Ubuntu 6.06 LTS is that this is the preferred server
install version of Ubuntu and is likely to remain so until the Ubuntu
people come up with another LTS release.
As far as Nexenta goes, the CD is pretty much like Ubuntu - in
addition to the default GUI install it allows you to install a basic
version with no GUI and other bloated crap that you don't need in a
server environment. I guess I forgot to mention - I am interested in
benchmarking those OS as a high-load server platform running MySQL and
Pgsql, not so much as a desktop enviornment.
OpenBSD, in their own words, has always focused on security and not so
much on performance. This was illustrated by this (in)famous
benchmark:
http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/
Things may have improved in 4.0 but unless you know of some
significant performance enhancements that are likely to be present in
4.1 there is probably no point waiting for the 4.1 release.
FreeBSD has apparently made some big improvements in SMP performance
as of version 7.0, which is due later this year. From what I heard
from people using FreeBSD in production 6.1 and 6.2 are not that
different from each other.
Anyways, thanks for the input.
On 4/14/07, Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:14:29 -0400
Haidut <haidut at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. NexentaOS latest release (OpenSolaris + GNU/Debian user
> environment)
> 2. NetBSD latest release (3.1)
> 3. OpenBSD latest release (4.0)
> 4. Dfly latest release (1.8.1 as of 04/14/07)
> 5. FreeBSD 6.1
> 6. Linux 2.6.x (Ubuntu 6.06 LTS)

Why not wait a bit and test with Ubuntu 7.04, OpenBSD 4.1 and FreeBSD 6.2? I know this is bikeshed, just thought it's worth suggesting.
Oh, and isn't Nexenta a desktop-oriented thing?
--
Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com>
University Of Szeged, HU