comparing cvsup vs. rsync

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Wed Apr 11 16:16:34 PDT 2007

Nigel Weeks wrote:
Just having an idea about this...are there any files in the source tree that exceed 32kbytes?

What if a database solution were created to:
Contain every version of every file of every branch in a nicely indexed database table
The md5/sha256 of each entry mentioned above
512 byte chunks of each file mentioned above in a nicely indexed table
The md5/sha256 of every 512 bytes of the above mentioned file.
uh-ah.  i guess that's for checkout, but still it seems very wrong.  I mean, really.  Uh, I can't stop shuddering.  I just hope you are not serious :)

and the database will be really huge...

actually, it sounds like git, just worse.

File checkins could simply be a file upload, or a mime encoded fetch request, or an email message, or an ftp drop, or an scp copy, or an rsync push...
file checkins right now are cvs checkins, and I guess that will stay for some time.

cheers
 simon
signature.asc