Need Reassurance for using DragonFly for Prodduction

Gergo Szakal bastyaelvtars at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 12:47:10 PDT 2007

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 00:54:33 +0530
"Siju George" <sgeorge.ml at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am Planning to migrate my Samba Domain Controller from FreeBSd 6.2
> to NetBSD 3.1.
> Now I am having thoughts about using DragonFly 1.4 as it is Stable.

Use 1.8.0 as that is the latest stable release.

> Just Wondering For what all Production purposes people are using
> DragonFly out there :-)

I am using it for NATs and filtering bridges (I maintain 3 DF firewlls in total). Running a samba fileserver from it, too. Oh, and a (dual-cpu) webserver with lighttpd, PHP and MySQL.

> DragonFly is not mentioned in the Platform Specific notes :-(
> Does this mean that I can take the netBSD'd Latest Stable pkgsrc and
> compile it successfully on DragonFly?

Yes, a huge proportion of pkgsrc packages builds and runs. There are also binary package mirrors, see this entry:

http://www.shiningsilence.com/dbsdlog/index.php/2007/04/06/2203.html

> Geuss it does not work well yet on amd64 and I will have to find an
> i368 machine.

It runs in 32-bit mode on amd64 machines. I have sucessfully built (32-bit) world on my A643000+ rig.

> Does it run quite Well on Intel's Core2Duo

It is supposed to run fine on those machines.

--
Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars at gmail.com>
University Of Szeged, HU

/* Please do not CC me with replies, thank you. */