DRI with ATI graphics chip

Joseph Garcia bsd_usr at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 25 16:57:59 PDT 2006

Thomas Schlesinger wrote:
Hi,

I've seen, there's a drm module in the source code.

I use an ATI Mobility X600 PCIe chip in my notebook. I've loaded the radeon.ko
module and have an empty directory /dev/dri, but the Xorg.0.log tells me:
[..]
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Device not configured)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Device not configured)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Device not configured)
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (Device not configured)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
[drm] failed to load kernel module "radeon"
(II) RADEON(0): [drm] drmOpen failed
(EE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
[..]

Can somebody please point me to a documentation about setting up DRM/DRI or
give me some hints?

Thanks,
Thomas

I tried to get 3D working on a Radeon 7500 but never had any luck. I
think there's something missing. It works under FreeBSD, and in FreeBSD
there are two modules loaded - drm.ko and radeon.ko. It doesn't seem
that DragonFlyBSD has a drm.ko module. Is that the part that is missing?
Other than you're hardware being too new, I think you might run into
that issue too.

Joey