Default tar revisited

Peter Avalos pavalos at theshell.com
Wed Sep 20 18:41:33 PDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 06:03:19PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :Reviewing FreeBSD mailing lists was quite challenging, but here's some issu=
> :...
>
>     Cool.  The only problem area that I see is the 'l' option.  That
>     option is (or was) used a *LOT* by people using tar to back-up
>     partitions.  I think we can survive as long as anyone attempting
>     to use the option gets a fatal error which describes the situation
>     in clear terms.

That's exactly what happens:
% bsdtar -l
Error: -l has different behaviors in different tar programs.
  For the GNU behavior, use --one-file-system instead.
  For the POSIX behavior, use --check-links instead.

>     I have never used --multi-volume or --use-compress-program.  Those
>     are things that probably ought to be piped anyhow.
>
>     Were there any issues regarding compatibility between bsdtar and gtar?
>     e.g. someone taring up with gtar and detarring with bsdtar, or vise-versa,
>     for archive transfers between machines ?

Yes, but I can't see any problem reports that are still outstanding.  Can anyone
else find any?

--Peter
pgp00007.pgp