Default tar revisited

Joseph Garcia bsd_usr at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 11:49:31 PDT 2006

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Hmm.  It sounds ok to me but I do seem to recall that some issues
    popped up when FreeBSD did this, so my provisio in importing bsdtar
    is that you (Peter) review the FreeBSD mailing lists for bsdtar related
    discussions and put together a summary of any issues that may have come
    up and whether the latest release addresses them (assuming the issues are
    even important).
    Direct support for tape has never been at the top of my list.  As long
    as pipes work, a tar piped through a dd or vise versa ought to work just
    fine for tape.  I think the last time I actually used tar *directly* on
    a tape device was over 15 years ago.
						-Matt
I was using tar (gtar, I guess) with tape just a few months ago (hmm, I
really do need to do another backup). Why? Because it's simple and it
seemed to work.

I guess there are other alternatives, but tape support would have been
nice. I can always use gtar still. I guess I can also learn to use the
alternatives (pax, etc) as well.

I'm not that much of a seasoned pro at using tape drives with Unix. Give
me an AS/400 and I'll backup and restore objects and libraries all day long.

Joey

P.S. I have this Compaq autochanger tape library. Anyone ever use and
autochanger on BSD before?