"The future of NetBSD" by Charles M. Hannum

Jamie nospam at geniegate.com
Sun Sep 3 23:23:52 PDT 2006

In <20060831194202.GA25654 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
Jonathon McKitrick <jcm at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> mentions:
>On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 09:58:59AM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>:     that 75% of the interest in our project has nothing to do with my
>:     project goals but instead are directly associated with work being done
>:     by our relatively small community.  I truely appreciate that effort
>:     because it allows me to focus on the part that is most near and dear
>:     to my own heart.
>
>Big question: after all the work that will go into the clustering, other than
>scientific research, what will the average user be able to use such advanced
>capability for?

My own plans are to use it for old hardware. (and as a long time linux user..
check out how the other 1/2 lives, dragonbsd has a lot of the flavor linux
did back in the day)

Kind of have a feeling it won't work too good for old hardware, but I have a
couple old machines around here. (actually, all my machines are old) being able
to offload as much as possibe between them appeals to me, at least on a personal
level.

I looked at the condor project, Dr. Dobbs did an article on it years ago.

Seemed promising but then read that it was restricted in the types of programs
it could run.

Would be really neat I suppose if it became so common instead of "PC anywhere"
you just logged in, plugged in to your "machine" and worked from there, sort of
like how we might use the 'screen' utility today but the whole image could
move. Heck, maybe even a mozilla "CPU" plugin at some point 15 years from now?

I bet render farms would be interested as well.

Oh, and of course, being able to take a machine down appeals to me. I did
a web application once that spanned several computers, we used LDAP for
configuration and basically copied everything all the time. Was a lot
of work. I can appreciate the problems involved.

Jamie
--
http://www.geniegate.com                    Custom web programming
guhzo_42 at xxxxxxxxx (rot13)                User Management Solutions