boot problem, disk mess.. thinking of suicide.

Bill Hacker wbh at conducive.org
Mon Sep 25 14:25:16 PDT 2006

Vladimir Mitiouchev wrote:

*snip*

PS2> Thanks God i wasn't running softupdates!
Muhh... don't be too sure...

'Softupdates' have saved me far more grief than they have ever contributed to.

Lot's of folk misunderstand what they do - and how quickly they can post if all
the kit is properly configured.

SCSI hardware RAID1 with write-through cache settings is the most bullet-proof,
but atacontrol or gmirror software RAID1 on dumb PATA/SATA IDE are decent too.

My PowerBook is the only machine I have that does not have RAID.

Either way, make your own cables from top-quality connectors and wire or buy the
best you can find  [1]

That cheap cable just cost you 6+ hours of life that no amount of money can ever
buy back for you, and you aren't yet fully back to 'normal'.

;-)

Bill

[1] One of the Apollo astronauts, asked how he felt about the launch, replied
with words to the effect:

"How would *you* feel sitting atop all those billions of dollars worth of
equipment, and knowing that every last nut and bolt of it had been supplied by
the lowest bidder?"