Default tar revisited

Peter Avalos pavalos at theshell.com
Wed Sep 20 17:29:26 PDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 09:07:10PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Hmm.  It sounds ok to me but I do seem to recall that some issues
>     popped up when FreeBSD did this, so my provisio in importing bsdtar
>     is that you (Peter) review the FreeBSD mailing lists for bsdtar related
>     discussions and put together a summary of any issues that may have come
>     up and whether the latest release addresses them (assuming the issues are
>     even important).

Reviewing FreeBSD mailing lists was quite challenging, but here's some issues
that came up other than "normal" bug fixes:

No --use-compress-program option.  libarchive and bsdtar automatically detects
the type of archive, and if it recognizes it, will choose the correct algorithm.

There were some issues with symlinks and schg, but those were fixed.

-l is intentionally broken due to the disagreement between POSIX and GNU about
what that option should actually do.

Tape handling, multi-volume, and sparse file support isn't really there, but I
don't consider those show-stoppers.

Many of the problem reports were fixed by Tim, and I don't see outstanding
bugs/gripes that should preclude us from switching over.

Joerg mentioned an option that wasn't implemented yet, but I don't know what it
was.

Was anyone else able to come up with good reasons against changing over to
bsdtar?

--Peter
pgp00006.pgp