Site layout suggestion

Oliver Fromme check+j7otz300rsrnrbho at fromme.com
Wed Oct 25 04:17:40 PDT 2006

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
 > Erik Wikström wrote:
 > > <rant>
 > > Unfortunately as the resolution increases the with of pages does too (if
 > >  the browser- window is kept at the same size) but making the text-lines
 > > longer also makes it harder to read, so it's often better to just leave
 > > some of the space unused. Who came up with the idea of widescreen
 > > anyway? Tallscreen would have been much more usefull.
 > > </rant>
 >
 > I think I have the problem solved with the max-width style in ex, as was
 > suggested.
 >
 > This I ask out of curiosity: what sites do you visit that actually
 > require the entire horizontal space?  I can't think of any sites offhand
 > that require more than 1K pixels across.

My browser window (Opera) usually occupies its own virtual
screen on my desktop (atached to a hotkey) and fits the
whole screen size.  There are quite a few sites that I
visit that benefit from a wide browser window, such as
map services, and a self-written CGI app that I use to
manage my digital photos.  Also, the side-by-side colored
diff view of cvsweb works well with a wide window.

Best regards
   Oliver