Site layout suggestion

Erik Wikström erik-wikstrom at telia.com
Wed Oct 25 01:19:23 PDT 2006

On 2006-10-25 02:46, Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Tue, October 24, 2006 5:29 pm, Erik Wikström wrote:

And resize the browser-windows whenever I change page?

<rant>
Unfortunately as the resolution increases the with of pages does too (if
the browser- window is kept at the same size) but making the text-lines
longer also makes it harder to read, so it's often better to just leave
some of the space unused. Who came up with the idea of widescreen
anyway? Tallscreen would have been much more usefull.
</rant>
I think I have the problem solved with the max-width style in ex, as was
suggested.
Yes, it looks nice now.

This I ask out of curiosity: what sites do you visit that actually
require the entire horizontal space?  I can't think of any sites offhand
that require more than 1K pixels across.
Very few, usually very designed pages using more than one column of
content. Saw a page just the other day where the amount of columns
adapted to the resolution and textsize dynamically, so when I increased
the fontsize the number of columns decreased. But as you said these are
hard to find, most sites don't utilize more than 800 pixels.

--
Erik Wikström