watchdog timeout with nfe(4)

Eli Green eli at geeky.net
Sun Oct 22 13:41:13 PDT 2006

Hey all,

I'm having problems with the onboard ethernet on a new motherboard (ASUS
A8N-VM CSM) which is the GeForce 6150 / nForce 430 combination board. I
think that's an "MCP51". The card is only connected to an ADSL modem
with a 10baseT port. Nothing fancy.
When I first load if_nfe, I get nfe0, an mii and an e1000phy.

Whenever I try to configure the card, there's a significant delay while
the machine freezes (around 2-3 seconds), then it returns to me without
errors. Once I try to communicate with the ADSL modem (which has an HTTP
interface, so I try telnetting to that and/or pinging it), nothing
happens and I get watchdog timeout errors.
Something similar to this issue was being discussed here but it looks
like it got mostly resolved for the cases that were being discussed:
http://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issue259
I'm running the latest Preview on this board.

I realize there's not a ton of information here but please let me know
what information I can provide to make debugging this easier. I'll try
and get a dmesg ASAP, once I figure out a way to get information off the
networkless DragonFly partition...
I'm hoping this will work:
http://ffsdrv.sourceforge.net/