Xen vs VMware

Steve Mynott steve.mynott at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 12:44:03 PDT 2006

On 10/18/06, Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Generally speaking I prefer the VMWare concept over the Xen concept.
    Xen actually has to run two operating systems, one serving as the
    master and the other as the 'guest' OS, and this compounds the
    number of potential bugs you might run into a lot more then a machine
    emulator does.
I'm surprised by this.  Xen (abstracting out some sort of meta
operating system) seems a "cleaner" and simplier solution to me than
running a  complex software copy of real hardware.
Anyway aren't we just talking about lines of C in both cases?  I
suspect the number of bugs in either would just be a function of the
total lines of C.
Xen is relatively small.   Although vmware source, isn't available
AFAIK would anyone care to estimate lines of source for it?