where is cvsup?

YONETANI Tomokazu qhwt+dfly at les.ath.cx
Sun Oct 8 00:36:29 PDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 08:34:33PM -0700, walt wrote:
> > updater.c lacks support for two commands that are needed to deal
> > with newphrases(any unknown phrases in the current implementation)
> > in RCS file.
> >
> > Please try this:
> > $ cd
> > $ fetch http://les.ath.cx/DragonFly/dfly-csup.tar.gz
> > $ cd /usr/src
> > $ tar zxf ~/dly-csup.tar.gz
> > $ cpdup ~freebsd/projects/csup contrib/csup
> > $ cd usr.bin/csup
> > $ make obj && make depend && make && make install
> >
> > The csup source in contrib/csup directory in FreeBSD tree
> > doesn't have the fix to queue.h, so it produces (unharmful) warnings.
>
> Now I see this:
>
> Updating collection dragonfly-cvs-src/cvs
>  Edit src/etc/defaults/periodic.conf
> newphrase commitid ignored
>  Edit src/share/man/man5/periodic.conf.5
> newphrase commitid ignored
> Finished successfully
>
> When I re-run cvsup I get no new updates -- so I guess that
> means it's working in spite of the warnings, right?

Yes, it merely means that it doesn't know about a newphrase `commitid'.
Since commitid happens to have nothing to do with checkout mode, it can
be safely ignored.  I'm not 100% sure if *any* newphrase can be ignored,
but I doubt one would want to add a new RCS phrase that requires special
handling to older implementations without breaking compatibility.
When the first time I talked to Maxime in private e-mail about this problem,
he didn't seem to be convinced about ignoring newphrase, but rather cvsup
and/or its protocol should be adjusted to recognize the commitid keyword to
get things done correctly.  He also said he was going to take care about
it after a few more conversations, but I haven't heard from him or seen
a commit since then.

Cheers.