Network Slowdowns?

Sepherosa Ziehau sepherosa at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 18:49:31 PDT 2006

On 06 Oct 2006 12:56:08 GMT, Jamie <nospam at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Curious if anyone else has experienced this:

Network gets really slow, I've got a 100m local network connection:

xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
                [ snip ]
But, when I copy files via NFS especially, but also sftp.. I get around
1-2 mbyte/sec. This is slower than the airport on a mac, claiming to be
about 1/10 the speed.
If I reboot the machine, or issue this command:

ifconfig xl0 down ; ifconfig xl0 up

Performance returns to about normal (although I still experience lockups
with NFS from time to time.. been scratching my head about that for a
while, can't seem to find the problem)
Is there a problem with some network drivers?

What gets freed up/reset with 'ifconfig down' that might explain why it seems
to temporarily fix the problem?
Please post the dmesg of boot -v
Thanks.
Best Regards,