Can't start KDE or TWM with KDM

David Aubril david.aubril at ac-nantes.fr
Mon Oct 2 08:38:33 PDT 2006

Well, I'm just a french guy. But I met that a couple of times. I guess
that there is a line somewhere which still refers to /usr/X11R6. So
that's what I wrote in my shell :
#ln -s /usr/pkg/xorg /usr/X11R6
It worked for me.

Justin C. Sherrill wrote:
On Mon, October 2, 2006 4:12 am, Frank Petitjean wrote:

After I entered the login and password, under KDM window, after a while I
have the message :
"the following installation problem was detected while trying to start KDE
could not find 'iceauth in path
KDE is unable to start"
With TWM I don't have any message, but it does not work too.

I launch KDM as a root user, and don't set up any environment variable
before.

What does 'which iceauth' show?  Perhaps a package is missing?

Frank Petitjean wrote:
Hi,

I have a problem when I try to lauch KDE or TWM with KMD.

After I entered the login and password, under KDM window, after a
while I have the message :
"the following installation problem was detected while trying to start
KDE
could not find 'iceauth in path
KDE is unable to start"

With TWM I don't have any message, but it does not work too.

I launch KDM as a root user, and don't set up any environment variable
before.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Frank.