filesystem hierarchy

Joerg Sonnenberger joerg at britannica.bec.de
Tue Nov 14 12:34:36 PST 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 08:57:02PM +0100, Eli Green wrote:
> It seems to me that DragonFly is not very far from the stated goal of
> having multiple libraries as it is, using varsyms or maybe a slightly
> specialized version of nullfs:

[snip]

(a) As Jeremy said, this is something pkgviews tries/tried to do.
(b) This is a *huge* maintainance hassle.

It works for Debian using the 1000 monkeys approach, but it doesn't work
for a reasonable large (as in: small) team. E.g. keep in mind that it
means splitting a single package into small pieces for the static
libraries, header files, associated programs etc., as everything but the
shared lib will conflict in the filesystem. This is a wonderful
nightmare.

Two of the things I mentioned in my EuroBSDCon talk will make the issue
much less pressing -- stay tuned for that :-)

Joerg