Shutdown

Erik Wikström erik-wikstrom at telia.com
Tue May 9 21:51:53 PDT 2006

On 2006-05-10 00:12, Joseph Garcia wrote:
Sascha Wildner wrote:
Thomas Schlesinger wrote:

Hi,

when I shutdown my notebook (ASUS V6800), I get a message to power it
of on console, but it doesn't happen "automagically" as in Linux. I
believe to remember, that I've read somewhere something about an
sysctl switch which enables this function, but I can't find it again.
I'm not sure, it was DFly related, it could also be FBSD related.

How do you shutdown? 'shutdown -p now' should do the trick.

Sascha

Typically, I used 'halt -p' instead of 'shutdown -p now'. Now I'm
wondering if there's a major difference. Either way, it shutdown my
computer.
Not really sure but I believe that shutdown calls halt or reboot, so the
results should be roughly the same. I think shutdown sends a message to
all users logged in before calling halt, can be used to put the system
down at a specific time etc. while halt just shuts down now.

Erik Wikström
--
 "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my
 telephone; my wish has come true because I can no longer figure