Newbie scsi question

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed May 3 13:28:58 PDT 2006

:
:On 5/3/06, Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
:...
:>     It would, but probably not in the fstab file.  What we really
:>     need is a devfs based disk ID / serial-number / volume label
:>     type of thing.  Actually what we really need to do is rewrite
:>     devfs entirely.
:
:What about extending the current disk wiring concept to allow
:WWN/serial numbers/VPD in addition to bus:target:lun?
:
:---chuck

    Won't work.  All that wiring is done through minor device numbers, which
    are only 32 bits.  We need a real namespace.

    Writing a fresh devfs from scratch would not be difficult.  I have
    simplified the VFS subsystem so much that it could probably be done in
    a week or two if someone already familiar with VFS got down and did it.
    For me, though, its dead last on my personal list of things to do.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>