[OT] Disk sector size

David Cuthbert dacut at kanga.org
Fri Mar 31 18:13:45 PST 2006

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Most of the arguments quoted are incorrect.  The one about the ECC
    length is correct, but the inter-sector gap argument doesn't apply
    to most modern drives because they already do full-track reads and
    writes, without gaps between sectors.
Yeah, I'm a bit puzzled by this, too.  I think they meant that drivers
and firmware will need to deal with 1/8th of the number of blocks.  I
could argue either way whether this is that big of a deal -- on the one
hand, silicon is still many times faster than drives; on the other,
linear bit density increases faster than silicon.