Getting a Canon scanner to work

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Wed Jun 21 14:50:55 PDT 2006

Petr Janda wrote:
> Ok, Ive done more progress. I forgot to use Walt's patched
> sane-backends. Now I did it, and scanimage -L finally recognizes the
> scanner.

:o)

> Now Ive got 2 questions:
>
> 1) It only works when Im logged in as root, non-root still cannot find
> scanner, what did you do to get yours working as non-root Walt?

Heh.  I've never tried -- I use the scanner only as root because I
don't understand the security implications of allowing users to access
hardware directly.

I know that other applications (k3b, for example) ask if the program
should be installed with the suid or sgid bit set, so that users can
run the programs without special privileges.  I don't understand all
the security implications of saying 'yes' so I usually say 'no'.  I
would love to have an explanation from someone who really understands
the risks.

> 2) How do I make a patch so I can send it to submit? I only have one
> source tree at /usr/src

This is the way I do it, but there are also other ways:

#cd /usr/src/sys/dev/usbmisc/uscanner
#cp uscanner.c uscanner.c.orig
<edit and save uscanner.c>
#diff -u uscanner.c.orig uscanner.c > /tmp/uscanner.patch

Then attach /tmp/uscanner.patch to your email to the appropriate
mailing list or newsgroup.