SMBFS questions

Gergo Szakal bastyaelvtars at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 03:37:56 PDT 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 17:56:42 +1000
"Dmitri Nikulin" <dnikulin at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On 6/7/06, Gergo Szakal <bastyaelvtars at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hey, I am here again, with my n00b questions. :-)
>> I would like to load smbfs support at boot time. How do I achieve it? i cannot even load it after boot, I get this:
>>
>> # kldload smbfs
>> kldload: can't load smbfs: Exec format error
>>
>> Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
>>

>The error message is not helpful, I think it shares the same error
>code as an actually broken module. What you need is to load libiconv
>and libmchain. If you like, build a new kernel with these options -
>read LINT. I think this is the third identical query in the mailing
>lists.

Thanks, forgot to load libiconv, that was the only problem. And sorry for not searching. :-(

>What would be very cool is an alternate kernel config which, like
>NetBSD's GENERIC, includes all reasonable compatible options and
>comments out the possibly dangerous or annoying ones. It sucks a lot
>having to merge parts of LINT with GENERIC to make a decent config,
>including just adding sound support. But I deeply respect Free/DFly's
>strategy of a minimal GENERIC so I wouldn't think to replace that.
>
>Heck I'll do it myself if it's desired... by merely 'include'ing
>GENERIC the maintenance required would be pretty small.

Let me clarify... it is not obvious (at least for me) what the actually loadable kernel modules are at the moment. I rebuilt my entire world and kernel just to compile bridging, pf and ALTQ into it but I heard that it was a waste of time, since it is already loadable. When I read through the GENERIC kerenel configfile, I could not find the above mentioned, or am I blind? :-)