Argh, Stray interrupts 2006

Vlad GALU vladgalu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 08:28:09 PDT 2006

On 6/3/06, Danial Thom <danial_thom at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

--- Bill Hacker <wbh at xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Danial Thom wrote:
>
> > My tech tried firing up 1.4 on an opteron MB
> with
> > an HT1000 chipset and, although it seems to
> work,
> > the console is literally flooding with "stray
> irq
> > 7" messages. Freebsd at least suppressed
> these
> > after a few, but when is someone actually
> going
> > to FIX this in BSD? Someone told me years ago
> > that this was an Intel chipset bug and there
> was
> > nothing that could be done, but clearly that
> > isn't the case here.
> >
> > whats the workaround solution as the console
> is
> > unusable in its current state?
> >
> > DT
>
> Same as always:
>
> 1) ALT-F2 (3, 4, etc.) before logging in.
>
> 2) Edit /etc/syslog.conf to send soem/all
> console messages elsewhere
> - after which (1) is no longer necessary.
>
> Bill

Thats not really a solution as I don't want a
system thats processing 100s of interrupts per
second for no reason. I previously reported that
these were gone, but now that I put another card
in the box (a dual port intel ethernet), they're
back.
I know I've been told that its a bios
configuration problem, however I don't get stray
interrupts if I pop a FreeBSD disk on the exact
same hardware. So why is it a misconfiguration in
DFLY but not in FreeBSD?

  http://www.myspace.com/danialt - is this you ?

DT